As an addendum to the previous post, and to really illustrate a point of how unusual 2013 was, here is a brief list of female director debuts, excluding assistant directors.
- Atsuko Ishizuka (Supernatural) – Supernatural is technically an OVA series, but at 22 episodes released in less than a year, is similar to be included. She co-directed the series with Shigeyuki Miya. She had also directed two episodes of Aoi Bungaku, but that is not counted as a series director debut.
- Noriko Takao (The Idolmaster) – Served as シリーズ演出. Possibly may be more accurate to have her TV debut for Cinderalla Girls in 2015.
- Kotono Watanabe (Btooom!)
- Rie Matsumoto (Kyousogiga) – Had directed previous Kyousogiga shorts as well as the Heartcatch Precure film.
- Soubi Yamamoto (Meganebu!) – Directed Kono Danshi OVAs prior.
- Ai Yoshimura (Oregairu)
- Kaori (Yuyushiki)
- Hiroko Utsumi (Free!)
- Mirai Minato (Fate/kaleid Liner Prisma Ilya) – Credited as チーフディレクター with Takashi Sakamoto. Shin Onuma credited as 監督.
- Mitsue Yamazaki (Hakkenden) – Served as Director. Osamu Yamasaki served as Chief Director.
- Yukiyo Teramoto (Kaito Joker) – Her first TV series, but had directed a number of Doraemon films.
- Kotomi Deai (Silver Spoon Season 2)
- Chizuru Miyawaki (Gintama 2015)
- Yumi Kamakura (Working!! Season 3) – Directed the Santa Company OVA.
- Naomi Nakayama (Orange) – Series Director for the series. Will be Chief Director for the film.
Not included in this list is 2014’s A Good Librarian Like a Good Shepherd. The series was directed by “Team Nico” which consisted of three women: animator and character designer Asami Sodeyama, animator Kaori Hayashi, animator Tomomi Kamiya; and two men: director Yuu Nobuta, and animator and character designer Kenichi Konishi. The group was credited for all three of Direction, Character Design, and Chief Animation Direction. It’s excluded because it’s weird.