Previously, Female TV Anime Directors.
The series composer works with the director to structure the story of an anime. The composer will also write a significant number of episode scripts for the series – though occasionally they will script every episode themselves. Since 2011, the number of projects with female series composers has generally increased, with the bulk coming along with the trend in anime shorts.
Despite an increase in opportunities for women in series composition, the proportion of late-night TV anime with female composers hasn’t significantly changed, similar to the trend of Female TV anime directors.
Overall, female series composers are adapting stories from manga for the plurality of their work. However, 22 percent of the TV series they worked on are anime originals.¹
In general, women are able to find series composer work at many different studios. However, over half of JC Staff’s projects were composed by Reiko Yoshida, Michiko Yokote, or Mari Okada. There’s a similar circumstance for Brains Base with Michiko Yokote, Tomoko Konparu, and Touko Machida. Bones only had three women as series composers: Deko Akao, Touko Machida, and Mari Okada.
Unsurprisingly, Mari Okada, Michiko Yokote, and Reiko Yoshida have worked on the greatest number of Otaku TV anime. However, it’s worth noting that Yuniko Ayana made her way into the top ten despite debuting in 2011 on Denpa Onna.
Just a few women debuted in the series composer role for TV anime every year. However, 2016 saw five debuts. This is a brief list of all the debuts each year.
- Yuniko Ayana (Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko)
- Takayo Ikami (Mawaru Penguindrum)
- Yoshiko Nakamura (Hiiro no Kakera)
- Miku Oshima (Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb)
- Aki Itami (Flowers of Evil)
- Hiroko Kanasugi (NouCome)
- Sawako Hirabayashi (Wolf Girl & Black Prince)
- Rika Sato (Glasslip)
- Midori Goto (Hozuki no Reitetsu)
- Rie Kawamata (In Search of Lost Future)
- Yukie Sugawara (Overlord)
- Sayaka Harada (Starmyu)
- Sayaka Konno (Uta no Prince-sama Maji LOVE Legend Star)
- Erika Yoshida (Trickster)
- Yasuko Kamo (Dagashi Kashi)
- Fumi Tsubota (12-Sai: Chiccha na Mune no Tokimeki)
- Momoko Murakami (Nurse Witch Komugi-chan R)
The number of instances where a female director and a female series composer are also few and far between. But since 2011, here’s is a list of TV anime with a female director and a female series composer.²
- Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi (Seasons 1 & 2): D: Chiaki Kon | S: Rika Nakase
- Brave 10: D: Kiroko Sayama | Mamiko Ikeda
- Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo: D: Atsuko Ishizuka | S: Mari Okada
- Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine: D: Sayo Yamamoto | S: Mari Okada
- Makai Ouji: D: Chiaki Kon | S: Michiko Yokote
- Meganebu!: D: Soubi Yamamoto | S: Deko Akao
- Tamako Market: D: Naoko Yamada | S: Reiko Yoshida
- Yuyushiki: D: Kaori | S: Natsuko Takahashi
- Ao Haru Ride: D: Ai Yoshimura | S: Tomoko Konparu
- Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun: D: Mitsue Yamazaki | S: Yoshiko Nakamura
- Hanayamata: D: Atsuko Ishizuka | S: Reiko Yoshida
- Dance with Devils: D: Ai Yoshimura | S: Tomoko Konparu
- Cheer Boys!: D: Ai Yoshimura | S: Reiko Yoshida
- Magic-kyun! Renaissance: D: Mitsue Yamazaki | S: Tomoko Konparu
- The pachinko/pachislot series are Twin Angel and Rio Rainbow Gate. Drama CD is Meganebu. Garo is the live action adaption. The song was Black Rock Shooter.
- Excluding shorts, kids anime, and assistant directors. Also excludes “Team Nico” and their series A Good Librarian Like a Good Shepherd.